Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius




Friday, July 8, 2011

"Gone to the Fields to Be Lovely"

Our Summer Courage to Teach Retreat was held at the Moreau River Sanctuary in Isabel, South Dakota. Many of you have heard me share my thoughts on the picturesque prairie setting and have asked to see photos. Although the pictures don’t do justice to the setting’s beauty, here they are as promised.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
A slideshow design by Smilebox

The title of today’s post comes from a poem by Lynn Ungar which was shared at the retreat. It is titled Camas Lilies. Here is a snippet:
And you- what of your rushed and
useful life? Imagine setting it all down-
papers, plans, appointments, everything
leaving only a note: “Gone to the fields
to be lovely. Be back when I’m through
with blooming.”
I often struggle with slowing down and just being. I feel like I need to be doing, doing, doing (often multiple things at once). As part of my Courage Work, I am learning to embrace solitude and celebrate living in the moment. I am reminded of the flight attendant’s mandatory pre-flight message “Please secure your own oxygen mask before helping those around you”. When I’m not taking care of myself, I can’t be much help to others. It’s important for me to be rested and refreshed so that I can fully give myself to others and the experiences of life.

In order to live to my fullest potential, I am committing to go into the fields often. Here are my fields:
Nature: It is crucial for me to be in nature. It is both relaxing and invigorating for me. Nature has restorative properties. I love to relate to the magnificence of the earth and marvel at her dynamic beauty.
Garden of “flowers”: Cultivating a garden of striking flowers- a community of positive, uplifting people who respect me, accept me, and embrace me for who I am. There are far too many toxic weeds out there. While I don’t need to pull them out, I also don’t need to put them in a vase on my table.
Youthful perspective: Seeing the world through the eyes of my children (and my students) helps me appreciate the exciting in the seemingly mundane.
Music: I appreciate all types. Music speaks to me and moves my soul. I am becoming introduced to many new pieces and genres thanks to my garden of flowers.
Poetry: Mostly reading other people’s poetry (I am amazed at people’s way with words), and also experimenting expressing myself and writing some of my own.
Dancing: Movement is another remarkable form of expression, both watching others and participating myself.
Reading: A passion- yes. Therapeutic- yes. Getting lost in faraway stories, being involved in thought provoking questions, and reviewing old letters and notes (true gifts written by those that care).
Journaling: A great tool of self-exploration. One in which I am honest with myself, my thoughts, and my feelings, not simply a log of the day’s events.
Photography: A growing passion of mine. Seeing things from a different perspective. Humbly trying to capture the world’s wonder.
Scrapbooking: Combining journaling and photography. I often joke about being a “scrapbook collector” and now I am finally making the time to create some pages. It’s great therapy and I’m beginning to do some pages just for me.

What “fields” do you go to “to be lovely”? And if you don’t often go into the fields, why not start making regular trips today?

No comments:

Post a Comment