Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius




Sunday, May 22, 2011

Book Clubs in the Primary Grades

Speaking of book clubs, I have been wondering how to incorporate the concept of Book Clubs into my first grade classroom.  Several years ago, I experimented with Book Clubs at the end of the year. We had several different selections and students got to choose which book they wanted to read.  It was quite structured and students had a specific “assignment” every day.
Here’s a great book I recently pulled from my bookshelf and plan on rereading this summer: Comprehension Right From the Start: How to Organize and Manage Book Clubs for Young Readers by Donna Marriott. It focuses on moving students to “intense conversations” about books. It talks about a five-day course of study. The format includes an emphasis on 1) introducing the study, 2) skill/strategy, 3) literacy discussion, 4) writing about reading, and 5) celebrations of learning. It also includes lesson plans for the five-day study of The Carrot Seed, If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, and The Three Billy Goats Gruff.
Another idea I’ve come across is the Brown Bag Book Club. Although I haven’t tried this yet, I can foresee my students loving it. Students read a book and fill out a graphic organizer, thinking map, or reader’s response and glue it to a small brown paper bag or lunch sack. The bags would later be filled with popcorn and students would pair up to share. The discussions could be guided by (but not limited to) the information on their bag. I anticipate many productive discussions coming from this process.  Of course, we only have five more school days left, so there’s no time to try it this year, but it will definitely be on my plans next year.
My purposes are to facilitate the joy and adventures of reading and encourage dialogue around high quality literature and related topics. I am also hoping that this will deepen comprehension and increase meaningful student discourse.
I’m interested in hearing from others who have had experiences with managing Book Clubs in the primary grades. What things have you tried? What works well for you? For those of who have not tried Book Clubs yet, what ideas and/or questions do you have just floating around?

No comments:

Post a Comment