Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius




Sunday, May 22, 2011

Book Clubs- Not Directly Education Related

I have never been a part of a book club before. I take that back. I have been a member of several different Bible studies where we were choose a book and meet on a regular basis to discuss what we are learning. I loved those experiences; however, I have always wanted to be a part of a group that shares my love of reading. I also wanted something with the focus on the enjoyment and not the pressures of a graduate literacy course.  Additionally, I wanted to be introduced to books that I might not otherwise pick up.
I got my wish! I was recently invited to be a part of a book club called Novel Ladies and Friends. It is everything I wanted and more. They meet on a monthly basis and each take turns choosing the book and being the hostess. The participants are from all walks of life and many generations.
My first experience with Novel Ladies was on Cinco de Mayo. I am so glad I went. Our book for the month was Sandra Brannan’s book, In the Belly of Jonah. Although I love to read, I usually find myself with works of nonfiction, mostly education related. I forgot how enjoyable it is to read fiction. It’s so relaxing and satisfying to read without a highlighter or feeling the need to take notes. I devoured the book in just a couple of nights.

The Novel Ladies and Friends

Good food and drink were a big part, but the highlight of the night was having the author at the festivities. Sandra is such a fun, down-to-earth person. I was enthralled by the book and absolutely adored Sandra as a person. I can’t wait until her next book in the series, Lot’s Return to Sodom, comes out in June. Liv Bergen is back to solve a mystery in our own Black Hills! I will be at Borders on June 4 at 2:00 to get my autographed copy. I’ll see you in line…


Yes- I'm an Author Groupie!
If you would like to learn more about Sandra and her book, please visit the following links. Considering this book is a murder mystery, keep in mind that the material may not be suitable for young children.
Review and exclusive interview with Sandra Brannan: http://www.book-club-queen.com/belly-of-jonah.html
Sandra Brannan talks about her book: http://dai.ly/j3BdsN
Book trailer for In the Belly of Jonah: http://youtu.be/1esPz1SLp94
Sandra Brannan’s website: www.sandrabrannan.com

No comments:

Post a Comment