Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius




Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's a Book...It's a Must Read

Here’s another book to add to your reading list… It’s a Book by Lane Smith.  This book is a dialogue between a laptop loving donkey and a book loving monkey.  It’s hilariously funny. I laughed out loud in the aisle of Borders when I first read it.
I often find myself in the Pro-Book / Pro-E-Reader conversation. My husband has wanted to get me a Kindle for some time, but I am holding out. Although I am not against technology, I have to say I am a traditional book gal in every sense of the word. Yes, I see the benefits of one, but nothing compares to holding an old fashion book in my hand and turning the pages. I hope in the future that it is not one or the other- traditional books or e-readers- but that people can enjoy both.  Maybe I will eventually go for a Kindle, but traditional books will always remain #1. I love to buy them, borrow them, arrange them, hold them, and read them.  
I am not sure who the audience of this book should be. Adults should definitely add it to their list. Parents and educators will want to preview this book before using it with kids. Smith uses the language of “jackass” for the donkey in the final line of the book, which will be a sticking point for some.
Watch the following YouTube video for a sneak peak and see what you think.

Visit Smith’s blog at http://curiouspages.blogspot.com/2010/07/lane-smith-on-its-book.html  to read about how the book came to be.
So, where do you stand in the debate? Are you Pro-Book? Pro-E-Reader?  Or somewhere in between? What do you think of Lane Smith’s It’s a Book?

No comments:

Post a Comment